Monday, March 14, 2011

A Steadfast Spirit

 Psalm 51:12 A clean heart create for me, God; renew in me a steadfast spirit.  (NAB version)

When I was young, steadfast never seemed to be something to aspire to.  I mean, what is exciting about 'steadfast'?

And that is probably true - exciting is probably not the word to use to describe it.

But in this world of change... where life circumstances change from one minute to the next... where information is pouring into my mind and heart at warp speed.... a clean heart and a steadfast spirit will help me survive the day.

A clean heart to keep my motives pure and eliminate excess negativity towards others AND towards myself.  Knowing that I am forgiven before I even mess up is an amazing gift.  All I need to do is recognize my error, ask forgiveness and atone to my brothers and sisters where possible.  Of course, that is the hardest part.... BUT when I do this... I am forgiven and can start over!  Wow!

But that steadfast spirit is what I need more.

Because I KNOW that I will mess up.  And I know that the evil in the world lives on.

Over and over and over again.  I get really tired of trying (and making mistakes).  I get really tired of all the bad things I hear on the news.

Sometimes it's almost more than I can bear.  So, Father, I NEED that steadfast spirit.

I need to have the strength to keep on believing.... believing in YOU.... believing in your merciful forgiveness... believing in all the good things you have stored up all of us.

Dear God,
     Create in me a clean heart and a steadfast spirit.  Help protect me from myself.  Let me not succumb to the craziness of the world around me.  Help me learn about the events around me but not become absorbed by them.  Keep me thinking purely and logically with a heart to serve and help. Thank you for the steadfast spirit that will keep me getting up and starting over again and again as often as you need me to.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment