Friday, March 11, 2011

"All Christian"

It is amazing to me how many products in the grocery store have a label that says "All Natural" yet when you look at the ingredients you see many items that you can't even pronounce!  Obviously "All Natural" is a misnomer.... I mean, how can something be all natural when there is nothing natural on the ingredient list? But in life, you can't always trust in what the label says.

I read a couple of verses in Matthew the other day that brought this into perspective for me:  Matthew 7:21-24 (NIV 2011 version quoted)

  21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’


It makes me think.  I profess to be Christian... That is my label.  But do I really ACT it?  Do I really show love and kindness like Jesus did? 


So I know my label.... but am I really what I say I am?  Is my label accurate?  Am I "All Christian"?  

I think I need to act nicer and worry less about my label.


And what about others.... people who profess NOT to be Christian?  I'm not saying that those of other faith persuasions are closet Christians.... not at all.  

But what I THINK is that God is pleased with those who act the way Jesus taught us to act.  For whatever reason and with whatever label.

Dear God, help me to be honest.  Help me to be a true follower of your Son.  Help me not to judge others and to recognize your goodness wherever I SEE it.  Help me not be blinded by what others SAY.. help me see YOU in what others DO.

No comments:

Post a Comment