Wednesday, April 27, 2011

More Reflections?

just a quick note to say that I am praying about whether to continue this column :-)

I started it as a Lenten prayer exercise and am trying to discern a message about whether it continues.

But at this moment, I think about the Apostles.... when we celebrate Easter, we do it with a knowledge of the resurrection.

But for them.... Easter.... was the day they found their murdered friend missing from the tomb.  It took time... and several appearances by Jesus... to convince them that something else was going on.   They must have been confused.  Even SEEing Jesus... well how could they possible recognize him?  They saw him brutalized.... they saw him executed.... they helped to bury him.  I am not sure that I would recognize him alive and well either.  I would think I was overwrought and a little bit crazy!

It took time and more miracles for Jesus' followers to be so filled with confidence and faith that they were willing to risk everything to continue the message.

So Easter is a beginning.... not an end... a beginning of reflecting and thinking and trying to figure out which way to go next.  In my religion, we call this time Mystagogia.... and it is a time of the Spirit brewing and percolating.

I ask you, my readers, to pray too.... God will speak and together we'll figure out what happens next!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you will continue this even if it is less frequently....Be blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete