Friday, April 8, 2011

Worship Together

A funny thing happened the other day.

Somehow I was at church by myself.

No worries... I don't mind.

I entered and headed to my usual spot.  I like being near the choir so I can catch the cues from choir director.  That's really important if you are a lousy and loud singer... you really don't want to be singing when the choir stops :-)

So I chose an empty pew.  Standard behavior, I know... you slip in unobtrusively and sit on the end.  (I'm not sure why - quick get away, perhaps?)

I am sitting there minding my own business... a few polite waves hello... but mostly quiet.  And a family of people starts coming into the pew.  Oh yeah, I forgot.... THEIR pew :-) 

So I start sliding over.... and the rest of the family goes around and comes in the other side... so now I am sliding back and the first few are climbing over me. 

Okay.... back to my edge...

And THEN... someone belonging to the family in the pew in front of me slips in beside me.  Their pew was FULL.  

I was surrounded.

Okay, God..... I HEAR YOU! 

Sunday service is NOT a solitary celebration.  The plan is that we gather TOGETHER and worship you.  Solitary worship is for other times.

Dear God,

       I understand how Jonah felt.  I was looking forward to having it MY way.  I LIKE my quiet time with you.  But you are right.  And I need to curb my desire for quiet solitude on these occasions of communal worship.  I need to greet and enjoy your children, my brothers and sisters.  And thanks for not putting me in the belly of a big fish to teach me this lesson.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment