Sunday, December 28, 2014

On the Fourth Day of Christmas

..my true love gave to me

FOUR calling birds
       three French hens, two turtledoves, and a partridge in a pear tree.


The four calling birds are said to refer to the four authors of the Gospels in the New Testament of the Bible: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.   The Gospels reflect the important events and teachings of Jesus.

St Matthew was a tax collector... St Luke a doctor... St John was the baby of the group who was supposed to have become a fisherman.  His career became leading the newly emerging church - on the job training, if you will.  We don't know St Mark's occupation but since he was the first to write - he was probably a scribe.  Three were probably well-educated - with enough facility with language to record events. 


Dear God,
    When I think of the responsibility these men faced, it amazes me!  Setting down the life and teachings of their friend and mentor - not to mention Savior!

They were like me though....  just people.

Just men who interfaced with the world with writing and words.  Men who were trying to make sense out of the things they learned and witnessed... and the changes they experienced.

That we still read the Gospels and interpret them and use them to live our lives shows clearly that you had your hand in their creation.

Please help me find the time often to READ these Gospels with love.  Help me HEAR the message you send through the efforts these men like me!  And help me LIVE in such a way that the message is passed on!

Amen







No comments:

Post a Comment