Tuesday, December 30, 2014

On the Sixth Day of Christmas

..my true love gave to me....

SIX geese a-laying..
         FIVE golden rings
             four calling birds
                 three French hens
                      two turtledoves
                          and a partridge in a pear tree


The six geese represent the SIX days where God created the world as described in Genesis.

I have long debated that "6 Days" is a fact since - as many of my readers might know - I do not believe that a) the Bible is written to be a factual account nor that b) the Bible has survived its many language translations intact.

I have seen many words come and go in my own language in my own lifetime.. (8-track immediately comes to mind.....  and how many people know what a record WAS?)  so why would I think we can accurately translate something written in an ancient language no longer spoken?  That was actually recounted in the oral tradition around campfires long before it was written?  How could it possibly survive intact?

AND WHY is it written?  Is it written to be a textbook?  Or to show us how to live good lives?

I have had this conversation many times with many people, many of whom claim that Scripture is literal - not to be interpreted.... until, in the same conversation when I point out passages about slavery.... I am gently reminded that society changes and some things are clearly to be interpreted.   At which point I leave the conversation - because in my mind, you can't have it both ways.  And it is not worth my time arguing about it.

But that is ME.. and MY position.

And, honestly....  in the grand scheme of things....

what does it matter?

What matters is that God created the world.
And he created me
And he gave me the world.


Dear God,

      Thank you... for this life and for this amazing earth you gave me.  Thank you for spending your time with the little details I often miss or don't appreciate.... the raindrop on a leaf, the way ants follow each other in a line, the sound of a hummingbird zooming by my ear...
       Thank you for the opportunities that abound each morning to re-create my life with your grace.

      Please help me be a responsible steward of your creation and always be mindful of what you have entrusted to my care.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment