Friday, January 2, 2015

On the Ninth Day of Christmas

..my true love gave to me....

NINE ladies dancing
     eight maids a-milking
          seven swans a-swimming
               six geese a-laying..
                   FIVE golden rings
                        four calling birds
                             three French hens
                                  two turtledoves
                                       and a partridge in a pear tree



The NINE ladies dancing refers to the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit mentioned in St Paul's letter to the Galatians:

 In contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."     Gal 5:22-23 NABRE


    1.  Love
    2.  Joy
    3.  Peace
    4.  Patience
    5.  Kindness
    6.  Generosity
    7.  Faithfulness
    8.  Gentleness
    9.  Self-Control

St. Paul was telling the people of Galatia how to live their lives as new Christians.  He specified these characteristics as traits by which one could recognize people filled with the Holy Spirit.  He contrasts these "fruits" with envy and greed and anger and lack of self-control.

The way of the world versus the way of the Spirit.

 St Paul was being persecuted by legal authorities.  He was also being harassed by religious ones as the new religion was coming to life.  His letter was about discerning choices:  Does the law (or conventional choice / requirement) produce one of the fruits listed?  If not.... why are you doing it?

      We can tell God's people by their fruits. 


Dear God,
    
    Our lives are made up of little choices.  Every minute of every day is made up of a choice.   To smile or not to smile.  To be angry or not to be angry.  To smile and help a family member or to grumble and refuse... (or to grumble and do it anyway :-)

     Help me see the FRUIT, God.  Help me make the choices that mark me as one of your own who is filled with the Holy Spirit.  Help me CHOOSE WILLINGLY the path to love... to joy.. to self-control.

     And help me discern the fruits of those around me.  The world is a tricky place and people are often not what they portray themselves to be.   Regardless of religious or political affiliation, the FRUITS of people's actions are what I need use to make judgments.

     I ask you now, God.  Help me make my life bear your fruit.  Help me live a life that will show the world your love.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment