Sunday, January 4, 2015

On the Eleventh Day of Christmas...

..my true love gave to me....

 ELEVEN pipers piping
     ten Lords a-leaping
          nine ladies dancing
               eight maids a-milking
                    seven swans a-swimming
                        six geese a-laying..
                             FIVE golden rings
                                  four calling birds
                                       three French hens
                                            two turtledoves
                                                 and a partridge in a pear tree



The eleven pipers piping refer to the eleven faithful apostles:

1.  Simon (or Peter)
2.  Andrew
3.  James
4.  John
5.  Philip
6.  Bartholomew
7.  Thomas
8.  Matthew
9.  James the Younger
10.  Thaddeus
11.  Simon the Zealot

I find it important to know the names of these men.. because most of us can only name one or two - and all of us know #12 - Judas.  These were ordinary men in their society... fishermen, tax collector, scribe, some related, some strangers, a revolutionary, some hot-headed and impulsive, some quiet and reflective, a teenager, a skeptic...  a good cross-section of ordinary people.  We have to wonder what it was about Jesus that brought these men together.... probably the same things that bring us together today.

But it is Judas I think about.  The traitor.  But I wonder if we can't call him the first and foremost traitor.  Because at the end of the road, only John stood with Jesus' mother at the foot of the cross.

I have read a lot about Judas and I wonder if he wasn't fully human doing what he thought was right and getting it all balled up.  Like maybe he trusted the religious establishment and felt that the safest place for Jesus that particular night was locked up and protected by his own people.  Maybe he did all the wrong things for very human and fearful reasons.  And, like we all do many times, didn't bother talking with his friends.... just blindly moved forward making decisions for somebody else..

Maybe he really was evil... but I tend to believe he was human.

So - today I will memorize the eleven because they deserve to be remembered.  But I will have compassion for the one.

Dear God,
       Whatever did you think when Jesus picked these men to stand by his side.  AND then left them behind to carry your work forward in the world?
      I am grateful that your logic is not the same as mine.  There is no way I would have chosen - specifically by name - these particular men in this particular time.  But Look!  Their efforts continue today.  Your Son walked here on the earth more than 2000 years ago - and thanks to you, of course, and these men (and their families!), the work continues.  This is nothing short of amazing!
     Please help me remember that my little efforts mean something.  Every little smile, every good and positive action, every time I do something to bring joy into the world... these efforts are like drops in the pool to build your kingdom.  Because I too was chosen.

     And have mercy on me, God.  Because like Judas, I can ball things up too... for right AND wrong reasons... that make sense to me at the time.  Help me make good choices - but again, have mercy on me when I make the wrong ones.  Amen,

No comments:

Post a Comment