Monday, January 5, 2015

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas...

..my true love gave to me....

TWELVE drummers drumming
     eleven pipers piping
          ten Lords a-leaping
               nine ladies dancing
                    eight maids a-milking
                         seven swans a-swimming
                              six geese a-laying..
                                 FIVE golden rings
                                       four calling birds
                                            three French hens
                                                 two turtledoves
                                                      and a partridge in a pear tree



And, finally, on Day twelve, we have the twelve points in the Apostles Creed.  The Apostle's Creed is one of the oldest creeds historically, dating in its earliest form back to the second century.  Therefore its roots belong to all Christians.  I leave it to my readers to argue the finer points of translation or acceptance (perhaps a set of reflections for another day)!

In a metaphorical sense, I see the eleven pipers announcing the big drums.. (or the faithful apostles handing down these twelve points of faith. 

At any rate, the twelve points contained in the Apostles Creed are as follows:

1.  I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
2.  I believe in Jesus Christ, his only son, our Lord.
3.  He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary
4.  He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.  He descended into hell.
5.   On the third day, he rose from the dead.  He ascended into heaven where he sits at the right hand of God the Father.
6.  He will return to judge the living and the dead.
7.  I believe in the Holy Spirit.
8.  I believe in the holy catholic church.
9.  I believe in the communion of saints.
10.  I believe in the forgiveness of sins.
11.  I believe in the resurrection of the body.
12.  I believe in life everlasting.


Dear God,

     Thank you for this statement of faith.  I find it interesting to ponder all these different statements.  I am not sure I have the capacity to even understand some of them.  But help me to grow and learn.

 Help me to keep an open mind in that I neither pray these words without thinking about them.... nor automatically reject what I do not understand.

This statement of faith has survived centuries.  It is worthy of some of my time and brain space to ponder!  Lead me to truth......  Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment