Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hello? God Calling!


Are you being called?  Will you hear it when you are being called?

When I think about 'being called', I think of BIG things.  I think of people filling a grand and glorious destiny...  people who give up everything and move to foreign lands.... people who lead the charge against poverty and disease... people who research and study and devote their lives to things I will never understand.

I don't think of the reality that ALL of us are called to action by God.
 
I don't know that I WANT to think of the ways that God calls me every day.  It makes life harder when I THINK about it.

Somehow it's easier if I just DO the little things that 'feel' right.  Don't we know that those little things - if filled with LOVE - are 'God calling'?

Today's reading in church reminded me that the little 'calls' may be more significant than we realize.  Today we heard about St. Peter and how he answered God's call.  (Paul's 'call' is even more dramatic!)  SO when we talk about being called - the emphasis is usually on how the leaders accepted the responsibility that Jesus shared with them.

But I wonder how things would have played out if ANDREW had not answered HIS call....  the call to INTRODUCE Peter to Jesus.  Andrew's 'call' was to get all excited and introduce his brother to Jesus.  Such a simple thing.....  Of course, God would have gotten Peter in another fashion because God is like that......  BUT that crazy excited NEED to share...... was Andrew answering.

All of us are called by God to be part of the plan.  And the plan is a mystery.  Our part in it is unclear.... but what IS clear is that God is calling.... every day... all the time....  stay awake.... stay full of love and excitement... you won't want to miss it :-)

*****

I know you are there, God.  I know you have a special plan for me.... and, even if it is doing laundry or walking dogs.... I want to be present and ready to recognize your voice.  Help me be there for you, God.  Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Great entry and a reminder that we all have a calling even if we would 'rather not' listen at times....! Be Blessed! :)

    ReplyDelete